Posted by QHN on July 16, 2015 at 5:20 PM
Today, 16th July, the Maltese national team left the island to take part in the European Nations Competition. The Maltese team is in Challenge 4 and the competition will take place in Lithuania.
Our Club has the honor to have the majority of players in the national team. An impressive 11 players out of 18 are from our club. These are:
- Ramon Chircop (Goalkeeper): he is the only player in the chosen national squad that was already in the last national team back in 2005. He is the current club 1st keeper and also is a product of the Qormi Hockey Youth System.
- Gareth Dimech (Defender): plays in several defensive roles and is an important player in the Qormi 1st tam. Last 3 seasons played as a Central Defender. He is a product of the Qormi Youth Sector.
- Joseph Cuschieri (Defender/Midfielder) He is also one of the nursery coaches (Under 17s) and has been with the club from the Youth Sector. He plays as a Defensive midfielder or Central Defender with our club.
- Juan Sarcia (Defender). He is the Qormi drag flicker and also one of the 1st new Qormi Setup Nursery successes. He is the current club top scorer for 2 seasons in a row and also the Club Best Player for 2013/14. Can play in all the Back Four defensive roles.
- Zachary DeGiovanni (Midfielder): Plays for the club in the centre of the pitch and although his young age,has been ever present in the last 2 seasons. Another product of the Qormi Hockey Nursery.
- Keith Calleja (Midfielder): He is one of our leading coaches and also the Nursery Youth Development Officer. He has been part of the Nursery himself. He plays in Midfield and is known for his fitness, commitment and work rate.
- Thomas DeGiovanni (Midfielder): Thomas is the youngest player called up for the National team. He plays in midfield or attacking positions. This season he has cemmented his position in a central midfield role for the club. He is a product of the Qormi Hockey Nursery
- John Williams (Midfielder/Attacker): One of the Nursery main coaches and also a great motivator for the young players. He has been with the club for 9 seasons and since his arrival at the club has been an important part of the nursery also. As a player he established himself as one of the best right sided players and this season was one of the best scorers for the club.
- Justin Bonello (Attacking Midfielder): A Qormi Hockey Nursery product. He established himself as one of the most skillfull players on the island. Also he is establishing himself for the Club. Plays several roles with Qormi, as a midfielder or striker. However he is best suited as an attacking midfielder.
- Jonathan Borg (Attacker): Joined the club after a spell in England. A very fast attacker that can play in all attacking positions. Had an end of season plagued with injures, but should be ready for the National team
- Steve Tanti (Attacker): A Qormi Youth Sector product and also the Club Seniors Captian. A real leader and a very fast player. He has been an inspiration for our young players with his attitude and commitment in the team. An example to all the Nursery players - leads by example.
The 1st game will be on Sunday against home team Lithuania.
Good Luck and Make us Proud!!!!!!!!!